Sunday, April 8, 2007

Christmas in April

Sunday morning...1am. Can't sleep because I'm like a 6 year old kid waiting for the guy in the red suit...or more like the 23 year old waiting for the blue and orange. In the morning, I'll pack up my little crap car & make the 5 hour drive to the city/New Jersey. And when I wake up Monday morning, it will be time to open the presents.

I've been a Mets fan as long as my memory serves me, yet have lived a bit too far north of Queens to frequent Shea. When the Expos still existed, that was how I got my Mets fix. Otherwise it was strictly the days of Channel 9, MSG, and Fox Sports NY to get me through. Finally, I made it to Shea in 2001, and not again until last August. Last summer I was fortunate enough to be at the comeback game vs. the Cardinals...a mere miracle considering I planned the trip 3 months before. Monday I'll witness what I've seen for so many years through a 20-inch screen...Opening Day. If I could find the words to describe my excitement, here is where they would be.

Beyond that I'll be in town to catch the rest of the series against the Phillies. It should be a fabulous (yet frigid) week in the city. I've been practicing my boo-birds for Mr. Rollins. I've packed 16 layers for the week & a pair of winter boots. I'm ready for what will more than likely being my one and only opening day at Shea...even if there is some snow on the ground. Christmas in April...that's what I said.

No comments: