Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Caught In a Fogg

What is with this team? I really don't understand it. It's as if every now and then they tease us with the team they could play like and then they go right back to their complacent ways. It is a tough sight to watch, especially this past series against the Rockies, which was just plain ugly. There was nothing I could take from this series as a positive, not even the fact that David Wright continues to swing the bat, because when you still get beat by 10 runs, it just doesn't matter anymore.

The starting pitching was awful. The bullpen was brutal. The defense was shaky. The offense was not enough. The killer instinct of this team was extinct. Some nights it is like watching dead men walking; barely a heartbeat. Even Felicano was touched up tonight, committing the ultimate sin, "the Kenny Rogers."

Baseball is still just a game so I refuse to get so worked up about it. That being said, even this roller coaster is beginning to wear on my well-tested Mets fan patience. I do believe that teams will begin to deviate to where they belong as the season wears on, but I'm not ready to concede to this being the "real" New York Mets. One thing I do believe is that we do not deserve to still be in first place. The Mets have been fortunate enough to stay there through this month long skid, but they should not be there by any means. If you truly thought the Mets would run away with the division again, you were lying to yourself and this should be your very loud wake-up call.

Tomorrow this team will be in Houston. Hellloooo New York! You're out of Denver and back on sea level; time to get your head out of the clouds. Willie will sit in front of the mics tonight and tell the media that we did not play well. These are the type of series' that "keep you humble." Turn the page and come ready to play tomorrow according to Willie-speak. I respect Willie Randolph, and as I said before, I will not play armchair manager, but this attitude is growing old with me. This team has too much talent to be sitting home in October and wishing we had another tomorrow.

No comments: