Thursday, May 3, 2007

One Big Blue & Orange Nation


Much is to be said about the effects of new technology. Be it YouTube, My Space, Wikipedia; we truly are all connected and can get a sneak peek into just about anyone's life. My choice of creeping is Facebook. I tried to stay away from it, but I caved. And it may have been one of my better decisions.

Besides constantly looking at pictures and wall posts, I stumbled across a group: Global NYM Facebook Group. I quickly joined and didn't do much else beyond that. This past summer I started leafing through the threads and was intrigued by some of the discussions (while less intrigued by others). I thank Mr. Lastings Milledge for creating such an argument I couldn't resist to jump in. Since then it's been a pleasure to become a "regular" and get to know Mets fans from all littlle corners of the country.

As a lonely Mets fan among either Yankee fans or baseball haters, it is nice to "know" others who have the same passion for this team. Through this group, we've started Fantasy Leagues, documented Keith Hernandez humor, achieved some group representation on Mets Weekly & ESPN.com, and have an upcoming group day at Shea this summer (thanks to the hard work of a few gentlemen). With 12,000+ members and still growing, there always something to talk about. We're a strange little bunch, an odd family of sorts. We're a bit dysfunctional, but none the less, quite fun. So if you're looking for a place with a little Mets love, come join us.

No comments: