Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One Giant Ego

For a couple days I have been sitting idle on the whole "Barry Bonds Circus." As hard as it is to avoid, I try to steer clear of too much coverage of his chase to break the HR record. Without a doubt it is the most prestigious of records, yet I cannot embrace Barry Bonds as a modern day baseball hero.

I am a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. At the same time, I also believe in using common sense. My common sense, along with the rest of humanity, believes Barry Bonds was juicing at some point in his pursuit of this record. Now I do not believe Barry Bonds should take all the heat for an entire era of baseball that is tainted with steroid use. But as someone who is about to take a historic stride in this sport, besides Giambi's moronic statements, he is the man in the spotlight.

He is a man who tries to schedule his spotlight moments by having press conferences every first day of a road series to minimize media glare. In doing so, he only creates more of an obnoxious spotlight on himself. Mr. Bonds craves the attention and takes pride in skirting around every question shot his way. No Barry, I don't think it's funny. As a baseball fan for years, you are wearing on my nerves.

I love baseball. I love everything about it. I respect the great players who have graced a baseball diamond in previous generations and I look on in admiration at the amazing feats so many of them have accomplished. Because of that passion, I look on as Barry chases this record and cringe at the thought of it. He is smug, full of himself, and convinced we are all out to get him. He's even convinced Barry Zito of the me against the world theory. (Check out the latest issue of ESPN Mag. for proof.) Barry Bonds cannot even run out a ground ball to first base. He cannot hit a lick off a left-handed pitcher. Yet he holds on to break Hank Aaron's record; a record that when broken should be embraced and celebrated. This is a record that fans should applaud and admire, while creating an outpouring of love for a new home run king. Sadly, this feat will be tainted by the man who breaks it and the boos from those who witness it. But Barry probably won't notice. He'll have his headphones on.

No comments: