Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Still Not Happy...

Do you feel any better? I don't. Willie Randolph is coming back. Yayyy! Crack open the champagne....errr wait. What's that you say Willie? "When we do drink champagne it will be that much sweeter; if we don't, that's life." Right, right. Thanks for clearing that up. But you're coming back because Omar runs the show. I really used to like Omar but this year and the handling of "the collapse" thus far have not been scoring any points. My favorite tidbit from the announcement today. "At one point, he [Randolph] walked through the clubhouse and noted his missing mustache."I was going to slit my throat," Randolph said. "But my aim was high." I guess the past few days have made me quite morbid because that made me laugh out loud. P.S...check out the picture from the press conference today. It definitely looks like Willie and Omar have an outstanding relationship. I also just won a million dollars.

Then let's talk about pictures of Carlos Delgado carrying around his Derek Jeter jersey. That's really cute Carlos, really. Too bad Jeter will be in the postseason because a) he can still hit a baseball and b) he's not afraid of being a leader.

Oddly enough Orlando Hernandez can't speak English now. He was talking to reporters on Monday through a translator. I mean, are you kidding me?! Arthritis, a bunion, 17 therapeutic boots, 2 vacations a year, crapping out at the end of the past 2 seasons and a translator. You can get the heck outta here too.

And then to make matters worse...in a move to protect my continued investment in this organization, the very concerned about Mets fans, Jeff Wilpon, sent me an email on Monday. As if I had been living under a rock, he informed me that the season was a bitter disappointment, there would be meetings, improvements, and changes. Oh yes and the best part...."You deserve better results." Conveniently that was followed by thanks again for your money. Thanks to the "Ownership Group" for telling me NOTHING I DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW!

If you missed it the Phillies were throwing celebrations in Philadelphia for winning the division. Newsflash: You didn't win anything yet but a crappy white t-shirt. Win a World Series and then you can start clanging the Liberty Bell.

One thing I was happy about...the Wild Card Tiebreaker. I was hesitant to put in on, but I'm so glad I did. After weeks of terrible baseball, last night was a perfect reminder of why baseball is the greatest game on earth. That was a phenomenal game last night in every sense of the word. Electric crowd, early leads, a grand slam, great bullpens, comebacks, extra innings, meltdowns, close plays, botched balls, and a walk off win. When you follow a team that has a monumental meltdown as the Mets did...it's easy to forget the beauty of baseball. But last night we had 13 innings of reason. I like the Rockies & I love the story. The Rockies were actually involved in the first baseball game I ever went to; so they are near and dear in a weird way. That they're playing the Phillies in the first round only makes me root for them that much more. I know it's tough to turn on baseball after what we just watched, but try to watch these playoffs. It proves to be a great month of baseball in general & the magic that happens in October cannot be re-created any time of year...regardless of the teams involved.

No comments: