Saturday, June 16, 2007

10 years already...

10 years ago interleague play began it's run and I find it hard to believe it's been that long already. 10 years ago puts me at a young 13 years old, riding in a car, on my way home from Long Island. On the radio, WFAN is pumping the car. The Mets were facing the Yankees for the first time and New York was crazy. We had been dreaming of this day for a very long time, but Yankee fans could not have dreamed of the outcome.

A less than fabulous Mets squad came into that series, completely out-hyped by the defending World Champion Yankees. But the Mets would go out and Dave Mlicki, another Mets pitcher who never quite made it, pitched the game of his life. He pitched a complete game shut out, while the Mets went on to beat the Yankees and Andy Pettitte, 6-0 at Yankee Stadium.

I still remember how excited I was as a kid in the car to hear we beat them. I can only imagine how Yankee fans tried to wrap their brains around what had happened. But if Dave Mlicki wanted something to be remembered by in a career with few bright spots, he had that with this game. So when people chuckle at my Dave Mlicki autograph among the few others I've acquired, I let them laugh. Over the years the Yankees have dominated most of the subway series matchups, but every time I see that picture, it's a nice reminder that on that first day, we had the last laugh.

You can check an an old article of Mlicki's account of that day here. Hopefully Glavine can tune into a little bit of history today...

No comments: