Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Keep Your Chin Up, Mets Fans









I really have not had the appropriate words to sum up the past few days in Mets land, and to be quite honest, I find a little bit of humor in searching for pictures to relay my feelings. I see Carlos Gomez shriveled up on the warning track and I think "Well this is kind of awkward." Then I look at El Duque and I can't help but think, "Yeah man, you're not the only one who wants to hide behind their leg." It's been a tough ride the past week or so. It's important to still see some light in things.

There are Mets fans coast to coast who are in total panic mode right now. I am not in the dark, this is serious business. The Mets are playing less than stellar baseball. But good teams are not guaranteed to coast along. If the Mets can turn around from this, and I firmly believe they will, they will be a better team because of it. The Mets came into the season as the team to beat in the National League, regardless of what Jimmy Rollins had to say about it. That means every single team is going to bring their A-game against us. They are gunning for us and want to take us down. So when we're not playing well, combined with a little extra incentive from the other dugout, we get what we have witnessed in recent days.

I've said it elsewhere, this team is far too good to stay this way. They'll break out of it. As a long-time fan, I would rather be slumping with this team than struggling in the days of Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar. Things are going to be okay. There are many who were quick to jump up and down when the team is 7 games up in first place, and those who will say "they never doubted the team" when they break out of this funk. The fairweathers stick out like a sore thumb. Your team needs your support now more than ever. We're all frustrated, but put the negativity away. Or at least hide it behind El Duque's leg.

No comments: