Sunday, June 10, 2007

Time to Stop the Bleeding

Take a look at the expression on Jose's face. That is just about what I looked like after today's game, crawling in the dirt and all.

Okay yes, maybe that's a little extreme. But today wore me down. Everyone has a bad week and expects a little sympathy. Wednesday and Thursday I was full of sympathy and understanding. Today I looked on at the end of a pathetic week. This team had their one bad week free pass and now they need to right the ship (by now, I mean tomorrow).

I understand this month's schedule is not for the weak at heart, but I also believe that to be the best, you have to beat the best. The American League is stacked with teams that are much stronger than the National League, and if this Mets team is going to hang with the best of them in October they will look back in hindsight and appreciate this stretch. I do not agree with the Yankees playing the Pirates or the Phillies playing the Royals, and all the other hokey interleague matchups that will take place this week. That my friends at MLB, is incredibly unfair. But excuses only go so far and you must work with the hand you are dealt. Hence, the Mets need to find a way to win these games.

Enter tired, whining fan here. I'm tired of seeing the Mets have a lead in almost every game this week, only to blow it and break my heart almost every single day. I do not like 6 games in 7 days and only 1 win. I do not like sitting on eggshells when everyone who's name is proceeded by P is on the field. I do not want to hear about Moises Alou's calves anymore. I want Tom Glavine to win a game, not to get closer to 300, but to WIN A GAME. I do not want to read about laughter in the shower after a week like this. I'm absolutely horrified at Carlos Beltran's ugly strikeout swing. I don't want to see runners left on base every single inning. Seeing so many seagulls on a baseball diamond is disgusting. I want to enjoy D.Wright hitting 4 home runs in 4 games. I want someone else to pick up some of the load on this team so he doesn't get back spasms again. I want to win when we score 7 runs on back to back days. I want to stop whining...

The offense is not to blame during this Tigers series. Hats off to the Tigers for capitalizing on every single pitch the Mets threw this weekend. The Tigers are an incredible team and have a scary lineup. I do not have the answer for our pitching, but something has to give. Go play kickball in the park together, tap into the psyche of Jorge Sosa, have a 'pen bonding lunch in L.A., start growing your hair back immediately; these are just a few suggestions. I will be okay though. I grew up as a young Mets fan throughout the 1990's. I have seen bleak days and will not panic. I just needed to vent. I mean we all have bad weeks, and it's nothing that a couple wins won't fix.

No comments: