Saturday, June 16, 2007

So That's What A "W" Feels Like

An off day and a win; exactly what I needed to curb the negative vibes. Truth is, we were all getting a little edgy and needed some sort of a break. I was a little uncertain coming into the Yankees series as to how they would respond. Thankfully, they put together a much better effort than in the previous days.

Ollie Perez. I don't care if he was effectively wild, or pitching with his eyes closed. He got the job done. When this kid is on, he is without a doubt one of my favorites. And I will admit I was not a believer after game 7. But almost nothing makes me more excited than the leap of the foul line now. So well done Oliver and keep it going.

Speed kills and that's what the Mets weapon of choice. Between Reyes and Gomez, and even Wright, they ran circles around Roger Clemens. If we can get some of this lineup into a groove, these guys can definitely pull out some wins. I am losing my patience with Beltran and Delgado. I know both are veteran players, but neither have been doing anything to contribute offensively to this ballclub. To make matters worse, I haven't even seen them answering any of the bazillion questions from the media. But when Willie makes a different lineup and moves both of them, they both have some complaint how they would prefer their regular spot. See, here's where I have a problem. Just because you're a veteran means nothing to me if you are not doing your job. So stick a sock in it Carlos-es and produce. Maybe then I'll consider your complaints. A Golden sombrero is not a step in the right direction.

Last but not least, Roger Clemens. This guy will go down as one of the most talented pitchers of his time in baseball, probably of all-time. As a man, I do not like Roger. It started with the broken bat incident seven years ago. It has boiled over to his multiple attempts at retirement and has come to a head with the Roger Clemens Family Plan contract. I think such a deal is worthless and to pay a man to pitch every 5th day, whoever he is, and give him the opportunity to come and go whenever he wants is bad for baseball. Baseball is still a game in which 25 guys go out each and every night to win a game. Becoming a great one gets you a ticket to Cooperstown and a spot in the record books, but not one of kind treatment if you are playing next to your peers. Respect is one thing, personal exceptions are another.

The Mets made no exceptions last night. They gave Roger his first L of the season and scratched out a win. They're going to need a little more umph in their bats to keep it going but I, personally, feel a lot better after last night's game. There was some life in the Mets that we had not seen in the past week and they held the lead. High five to the bullpen last night; the "tag team" shut down the big guys and Wagner gets the 1-2-3 save. So thanks for the reminder last night guys, but it doesn't mean anything if go back to your old ways.

No comments: