Monday, September 3, 2007

A Big Win-Win

Nevermind the sweep yesterday of Atlanta. That was big, but we all knew that. I didn't need to remind anyone. In my eyes, today was bigger. Pedro Martinez made his return with all the pomp and circumstance only Pedro would bring. There is no doubt he brings an emotional lift to this ballclub. He brings levity and humor to a team that has walked around like they have wet underwear for quite some time. Besides all that, he is Pedro. It's undeniable this guy is a start. Delgado said it best when he said, "he (Pedro) is showbiz."

Despite all the hoopla, I was nervous how today would go. I don't know if the majority of Mets fans would have been able to cope with Pedro getting shelled. So many fans are counting on him to be the savior that takes the Mets to the promised land this year. Who knows if that will happen, but it's important to keep our expectations of Pedro realistic.

Only Pedro would be the first know pitcher to pitch in less than a year of his rotator cuff surgery. He had good stuff today and he showed great command for his first big league start in a year. He worked out of a jam and kept his team in the game. Pedro notched his first win of 2007, while the Mets continued to prosper in his presence. And for Mets fans that should be enough this year. If Pedro Martinez can go out there every 5-6 days and keep the Mets within striking distance of a W, combined with the aura he brings to the mound, we should be content. Even after today's successful effort, to expect too much from Pedro could only lead to a letdown. In the meantime, count today as 2 wins. A win in the standings and a win on the mound.

Aside from Pedro, I have changed my mind. Earlier this season I would have agreed Jose Reyes is the MVP of this team. He still is a major catalyst for this offense. But ask me today and without a shadow of a doubt, David Wright has become the MVP. After his terrible April, he has been consistent and has stepped up as the leader of this team. He is the will of this team and maybe the real face of the franchise. For the past couple years he has easily been my favorite player and person on this team, but I try not to go bananas and see the big picture. I try to stay focused on the team and not gush too much, but not today. Today, I officially join the Wright for MVP club.

No comments: