Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I Can't Even Sleep

When it comes to the Mets I try to see the big picture; not get too high, not get too low. I try to stay optimistic; because I was raised a Mets fan, so when it comes to baseball you are bred to see the optimism. I was even going to hold out until tomorrow morning, when I would be in a much safer state to post. But I'm still angry. And the Mets never make me this kind of angry.

If Willie Randolph was coming to a slow boil tonight, then my pot over-floweth. I am not qualified to be a manager, but is Willie an idiot? Really? To double switch LoDuca out of the game when you're trailing and you're team can't seem to catch or throw the ball...was that the brightest move he could come up with? Is he serious?

This bullpen is terrible. There's really no way to sugar-coat the obvious anymore. Willie has not managed the bullpen effectively all year; now they're being pushed beyond their limits; and the quality out there has really been disheartening. Thanks to Metsblog for making me chuckle tonight...reminding me that today's disaster did not feature Mota. Now that my Met friends is a terrible day. I mean when Brian Lawrence is pitching on Sept. 16th in the heat of a pennant race, I ask myself where all our "pitching depth" went? I know, I know. El Duque has a bunion. And I have a hangnail. It's a tough life.

Earlier this season I said on this blog that I did not think Willie's even-keel attitude would help this team when it came down to do-or-die. They're showing that right now and as I said before, I do not think this team could respond to October pressure. I just don't believe it from the product they have put on the field this season. You can only turn so many pages before the book ends. If they don't pull their heads out of their behinds soon, your postseason will never come. They have been banking on the Phillies to have another letdown, or that they will magically win tomorrow, but the game doesn't happen that way. Passive teams do not win championships. And this team is the top-notch definition of passive.

Much appreciation to Omar Minaya who went to the clubhouse for hugs and encouragement after the game. I'll take one if he wants to come visit me. Also hat tip to Manny Acta for a) the job he's done in his first year in general and b) for not sending his running in the 6th with a 3-2 count and only 1 out. Thanks Manny for trying to minimize the embarrassment.

I do not blame Willie or Omar or any ONE person for this complete meltdown. If the Mets lose this division lead, it will be a collective effort. But in my eyes, Willie has lost control. He can't seem to rally the troops in and what's worse is he's upsetting the apple-cart. Check out LoDuca's post game reaction if you don't know what I mean. I'm sure many of you are as angry and frustrated as I am. I hope the Mets are too. I hope they can't sleep either.

No comments: