Saturday, September 29, 2007

More Blue Than Orange

"I'm embarrassed. It's embarrassing. It's pretty pathetic that we have this division within our grasp with 7 home games and we can't find a way to win one of them. It's a bad feeling. It's a feeling that the fans deserve better. Ownership deserves better. The front office deserves better. Willie, the coaching staff deserves better. This is on the players." D. Wright

It came from David Wright's mouth, but it could have come from any of us. There's anger, frustration, disappointment, sadness, etc. Personally, I'm just very tired and well, a bit broken hearted. The faces of Mets fans sitting in the stands tonight, staring into nothingness after the game was really too much to handle. It really was the epitome of gut-wrenching. End of story.

This is the toughest day to be a Mets fan in recent history. Game 7 last year was tough...but this is something beyond that. It's helplessness, it's confusing...and we have no one to blame but our own team. It does not rest on the shoulders of one guy...this team has lost it as a team. If it's not one thing, it's another; defense, offense, focus, starting pitching, bullpen. I don't need to describe games or mistakes to you, but there is nothing to take the sting out of tonight. To see the Phillies on top made me sick, but I am a realist and they have played like hell to get there. They didn't throw the towel in and boy do they ever have the momentum.

I don't know what to make of anything. Or what to do if the worst-case scenario comes true. Everyone took this team for granted and at the worst possible time reality has set in. But here we are, and the Mets are not mathematically out of it. I was a math major and appreciate the numbers game, so we cannot concede yet. Stranger things have happened in the realm of baseball & the Mets can still make the playoffs. Do I feel optimistic tonight? No. But there is still a glimmer of hope.

I have never heard as eerie a silence as the one at Shea tonight in the 9th. The fans almost personified the lifeless team we have seen the past few weeks & other times throughout the summer. This team is on life support and so are their fans. It's hard to ask any more of each other at this point. The Mets have collapsed. If they can climb above the rubble or fall deeper in the ground will be determined in the next few days. I still believe because I'm a Mets fan and I am doubtful because I am human. I know there is still hope & Carlos Beltran is telling me it's not over yet, but I never had such a "sky has fallen" feeling as tonight. We all will deal with this is our own way...and you may or may not believe. You may broken hearted as I am or still holding on for dear life...but there is one thing you need to be for the next 2 days. You need to be there. Whether it is in front of you TV watching your team, or in the stands willing them with the last sliver of energy you have...but if you are a fan, YOU WILL BE THERE. Hold on Mets fans...we'll get through it together.



No comments: