Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cruising Along

Magic Number: 11

The sweep by the Phillies seems so long ago. The Mets have been in cruise control since that bump in the road, but I'm glad it happened. That sweep shook this team and made them wake up. Stop playing like crap! Play the baseball you're capable of. Despite some bullpen issues that I deal with everyday, I'm happy with the way the team's been playing of late. 7 games up, magic number dwindling, and assisting the Braves with their October golf reservations have been the results of the past week. Job well done.

Of course all good work can be erased with a stumble this weekend. I'm hoping this team will be more than all talk and really get some revenge this weekend against Philadelphia. They need to "put the hammer down" this series. Don't let the Phillies back in the race again. Beat them...beat them badly, because we know they're the team to beat.

Apologies to any readers for my lack of daily updates. This grad. school thing is taking up a huge chunk of time. Weird how that has happened. I am taking a break to attend some games this weekend, most notable Friday night which is Keith Hernandez Mustache night. Yes, I am very excited! I hope to get some pictures to post when I get back.

Unfortunately, not counting any luck I may have with this stupid postseason ticket drawing, these will probably be my last games of the season. Where the season went...I'm not really sure. It's a little depressing to think that just yesterday it was February; now there are 17 reg. season games to play. Too often I find myself getting caught up in the numbers, the wins, the losses, the magic number, that I don't appreciate just the game itself as it's happening. Then before we all know it some of us are looking at snow. I think last season with such a huge lead we had the opportunity to kick back, relax and enjoy the Mets. With the ups and downs of this year's team, we devoted too much time to worrying and less to enjoying. So as I head to Shea this weekend, I pass along some advice to any readers out there. Take time in the next couple weeks to really soak up this team and everything about it. Don't watch the scoreboard & don't count the days until the Mets clinch. Laugh at their absurd celebrations, appreciate David Wright's presence on this team, recognize the promise of the youth on this team, applaud the old-age excellence, hold your breath for Pedro, and yes, keep booing Guillermo Mota. Before you know it, we'll be baseball-less again.

No comments: