Monday, September 17, 2007

Cuidado Con El Martillo!

Check so many quotes from before the start of the Philly series and there was a lot of talk about stepping on their throats; getting some revenge; putting this race away; throwing down the hammer. Friday night ,Ollie Perez stepped in as a substitute for Professor Reyes. As always it was entertaining while expanding my limited spanish, but this night it was a bit ironic the phrase would be "Cuidado con el martillo". Translated...be careful with the hammer. Hmmm interesting.

The Mets played like crap all weekend. Thanks D.Wright for finally hitting a HR in my presence and the diving catch of the bunt was the icing on the cake. The umpires did not help this weekend. Neither did Willie Randolph's lethargic trot to the field to protect his players. Way to leave them hanging out to dry buddy.

I was embarrassed that was my team on the field this weekend. What is Reyes' deal? With the exception of Sunday afternoon, could someone translate clutch hitting for Carlos Beltran? Could Pedro have had more incredible an outing, only to be wasted but this bullpen? Could the fans of Philadelphia be anymore obnoxious? I understand their team was killing the Mets, but seriously. I lost count of all the fist fights in the stands after I gave up on the Mets Saturday afternoon.

I did not have any kind of luck in the first drawing for playoff tickets, but I did have enough luck to pick the exact car on the 7 train Friday night in which a far too serious Met fan was reaching in his pocket to "cut up" a Philly fan. Mr. Met's mustache on Friday night was a cute little touch; so was Chris Coste's kick of Marlon Anderson's helmet on Saturday.

I've seen the Phillies and Mets square off at Shea 6 times this season. This weekend was by far the worst couple games I've attended at Shea. While people have been concerned by the rivalries with the Braves and Yankees, Mets fans and Phillies fans have developed quite the angry rivalry. If the Phillies are sitting home in two weeks none of this will matter, but I am concerned that the Mets just cannot get the umph to the this thing away. That when it comes down to "win today!", they may not have that killer instinct. Forget being careful with the hammer, it's more like "No podemos encontrar el martillo!"

No comments: