Saturday, August 11, 2007

El Esta Aqui?

I have remained silent on my feelings about Carlos Beltran for far too long. Let me begin by saying, I honestly want to like Carlos Beltran. It's almost like I've been waiting for three years, almost begging him to give me something to cling to. See the thing is, Beltran will make an incredible catch, have a 2 homer game, or do some interview coming off as a real nice, quiet guy, and I want to like him. I want to cheer. I even really like his at-bat tunes. When I come home from Shea after Beltran hit a walk-off home run, I want to say, "Yeah Beltran, he's an amazing player!!" And that Harlem RBI commercial gets me every single time.

But then something happens the next day and I just can't. I bite my tongue and wait for the next roller coaster ride Beltran will take me on. Beltran has not had a very good year at the plate this season. Besides misplaying that ball in last night's game against the Marlins, he still is one of the best defensive center fielders. But to me, if you cannot come through in the clutch, you are not a complete player. Beltran has failed the Mets numerous times in a clutch situation. Yes, other Mets have as well, but when Beltran signed with the Mets, he was supposed to be "that guy." The big stud, five-tool, outfielder. He was supposed to be another major Omar acquisition to take us to the promised land. Three years later, I'm still scratching my head.

Carlos Beltran is not an old man. His quad, oblique, knee, calf, etc are all apparently very old though. He has more nagging injuries than I do pairs of socks. All ballplayers have nagging injuries, especially later in the season, but Beltran takes this to a new extreme. He'll never be able to stay in a good rhythm with non-stop setbacks. Plus, when your teammates can play through a broken bone and you sit out a hang nail, it doesn't really resonate with the Shea faithful. Coming back last night to play and then sitting out tonight because he's not 100% from the right side does not fly with me. If you say you won't play until you're 100%, then DO NOT come back until you are 100%. Carlos, that means from the left AND right side.

I would hope three years would give a player enough time to prove himself to a fan and a city, yet I don't really think Beltran has achieved that. He has had moments that he has been cheered by New York, yet I don't think he has ever been really embraced by Mets fans. I think we all know New York is not a perfect fit for Carlos Beltran and I'm not so sure it will get any easier as the next four years of his contract play out.

I know that Carlos Beltran is not a bad guy and he is still is an amazing athlete. In addition to that, I'm not saying I would want anyone else in particular manning our outfield. I do think the grind of New York may be too much for him, but he is going to have to find a way to survive. It almost pains me to write this article, because even today I still want to like Beltran. Maybe I've seen too many weak grounders to second, or too many ugly strike out swings, or too many flashbacks to Game 7.

I'm just going to have to sit it out when it comes to Carlos Beltran. I'm just not 100% yet; I suffer from a strain of my patience.

No comments: