Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sweep?!

I can barely believe my eyes. The Mets completed the sweep of the Nationals today with another solid effort from El Duque, who finally got a win. The Mets finally showed signs of power by having a big inning in the eighth to break the tie and solidify their first sweep in quite some time.

New York is beginning to string together some solid performances, both offensively and defensively. This week the defense was brilliant, while the offense scored 43 runs in 6 games. With just one loss this week, you almost are getting an idea of how potent this ball club really can be. Not to overshadowed are the performances of Carlos Beltran and Moises Alou. When Alou is not in the Dominican Republic, he is one helluva ballplayer at his age. I would put him in my lineup any day. Carlos Beltran has taken a lot of heat from me, but his recent outburst at the plate only leaves you scratching your head of what could be if he could put together a solid, healthy year from April to September.

Needless to say, let's not get carried away. This sweep came against the Nationals, a lower-tier team. As I've said before, these are teams the Mets should be beating, despite the fantastic job Manny Acta is doing in his first year. The Mets will face some good pitchers this upcoming week and need to continue to this roll against the Padres and the quickly fading Dodgers.

Speaking of the Padres, I'll be at Shea this Tuesday & Wednesday. Being outside the city I have to plan adventures to Shea in advance. If you'll be at the games, let me know! I would love to meet anyone who checks in here. Enjoy the off day Mets fans!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Carlos Beltran has taken a lot of heat from me, but his recent outburst at the plate only leaves you scratching your head of what could be if he could put together a solid, healthy year from April to September."

2006 wasn't that long ago.