Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Milledge Can Stick Around

I have been away far too long and the only thing that's more annoying than an awful case of allergies, is that the Mets are still lacking the killer instinct I think they need to really go the distance this year. While I was away the Mets rattled off a good number of wins, which I expected. Other positives and negatives: Alou's return; Beltran's nagging injuries; Glavine's failed attempt of 300; Joe Smith's demotion; Pedro's continuing progress. But the one thing that has stuck out has been the presence of Lastings Milledge.

I can barely believe this post I'm writing; being one of the biggest Milledge skeptics I know of. I had some issues with Milledge last year and was not completely sold on this kid. He obviously had potential in what we saw of him last year; yet I was uncertain if he would be able to succeed in New York. Only time would tell if he really would "get his grown man on," as he stated in Spring Training this year.

Despite the little rap record blip (which was a bit blown out of proportion), he has been a good boost for the club. He has had a number of big hits, yet is still a little inconsistent at the plate. Milledge has also provided solid defense in the absence of Carlos Beltran and covers good ground to complement the less than speedy Green and Alou. A much improved defensive showing from that horrendous night Milledge had versus the Green Monster last summer.

Besides the obvious tools of the game, Lastings has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. It is a bit sub-dued, but a healthy chip. He always appears to be fired up when he's on the field, whether it be the fist pump after a slide into home, or a snap down of the glove after a fly ball. He's totally in it when he's on the field and that scores some points with me. I would rather have a player who's emotionally involved, although it can work against you at times, than one who approaches each day going through the motions.

Milledge has a swagger that I wish the Mets possessed as a whole and surprisingly, I hope he remains that way. Maybe I can live with Lastings on my team after all.

No comments: