Saturday, August 11, 2007

Meet the Mets, Beat the Mets

I'm not sure if anyone is actually reading my blog. If you are, proceed with caution. I'm a bit annoyed with the Mets from top to bottom. Before I rant, let me thank David Wright for trying to be a one man show tonight. The bullpen let this one go, but not without a great night from #5. Whatever comes of my rant, David Wright is still on my good side. My very good side.

The Mets should have won both of these games against the Marlins. The bullpen has just been pitiful. Needless to say, this bullpen will never be as strong as last year's pen. This team is not last year's team, so it would be much appreciated if we could stop comparing the '06 and '07 New York Mets. I also have made an executive decision to not waste anymore of my energy on Willie Randolph. Chances are he will annoy me or frustrate me at least three times a week. I'm just going to expect it, deal with it, and move on with life.

I am not worried about Billy Wagner...for now. He's only blown two saves this season; perfection all season cannot be expected from him. If he does this in October, I may have a anxiety attack. The Guillermo Mota sans steroids experiment is over for me. Mota clearly is not going to be a consistent positive presence in relief. Therefore, I can't bear to see him in a situation with a game on the line anymore. Please and Thank you. Aaron Heilman will have 4-5 great outings, followed by a rough one. That's just Aaron Heilman. Here's hoping Sosa can remain effective as a reliever.

Thanks to the play of Lastings Milledge, Shawn Green has received a part-time demotion. I would say hat tip to Lastings, but Green's hat has probably already fallen off three times since I began this sentence.

Paul LoDuca has joined the party on the DL. Face it, we may never see the "A-Team" on the field this year in back-to-back games.

Carlos Beltran, one whom I have remained silent on this season, is the big winner of his own post. Stay tuned for that.

When runners are in scoring position, to win ballgames it is crucial to drive them home. Is this a new concept in baseball?!

I'm not really sure where the Mets are going to end up this season. They have the potential to win this division, but if they will play up to their potential is the big question. There are many Mets fans that continue to proclaim that New York will handily win the division, which was great positivity in May. I still believe it can happen, but I think it's also necessary for fans to prepare themselves for the worst if this team cannot snap out of this inconsistency. We have all been waiting for the lineup to finally kick in it to gear, and it really just hasn't happened. If it doesn't happen soon, the Mets season could see itself in serious jeopardy. Mets fans have seen some pretty terrible teams come through Shea and we have survived. The frustrations today come from fans watching a team that is far from terrible, yet turning itself into a less than intimidating team.

Forget a series win, a win tomorrow is necessary for this team to maintain some dignity.

No comments: