Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hats Off to the Ladies

I could ramble about last night's success against the Pirates, but let's get serious. They should be beating the Pirates; there shouldn't be that much to analyze. Instead I want to take a minute to bring your attention to a much appreciated post from a fellow lady blogger for the Mets.

I check in with Metsgrrl, Zoe Rice, and the Coppola Sisters on a daily basis. These ladies are more than entertaining and it is blogs like these that make maintaining sanity while being a Mets fan possible. Yesterday, Metsgrrl discussed why she didn't attend the SNY viewing party at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone. If you're a lady reading this, please check it out here.

There are those female fans that do go nuts for the pink shirts or strictly watch baseball because "Oh My God! I wanna be Mrs. Wright!" Don't get me wrong, I've met David Wright twice and he's all that he's cracked up to be, BUT I was a Mets fan long before David Wright was driving. So please note the distinction. There are ladies out there, that like some men, live and breathe with their team. They sit in the 40 degree weather of April to see their first Opening Day or save their pennies to take a pilgrimage to Spring Training. Some of us can probably dance circles around some of you gentlemen in a baseball conversation.

Metsgrrl often discusses a feeling of missing out, as being a "newer" fan, but when you read her blog she hasn't missed a thing. Being a baseball fan, specifically a Mets fanatic, you either get it or you don't. I always look forward to her honest posts and her amazing photos. Let's be serious, not all of us can stay even-keel as Willie suggest. Metsgrrl more often than not puts what most of us are feeling into words, all while being incredibly witty.

As she discussed in her most recent post, there are little to no women in the baseball industry to look to, which is unfortunate. I must admit as a high school kid, I aspired to be a play-by-play announcer, and veered away from that as I was in college. Maybe that came from no one who was worth looking to as "I want to be just like her..." As I head to graduate school to pursue a degree in Sports Management, I don't know if I'll still end up in media, or some other facet of the baseball industry, but knowing there are incredibly knowledgeable female fans seeking to be heard is more than motivation.

So hats off to you lady bloggers! Thanks to the ladies mentioned above for encouraging me to start blogging myself & for all they add to the Mets blogging community! Keep up the fabulous work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, congrats on going to grad school! and THANK YOU for everything that you said.

i look forward to watching your glowing career :)